Wifi has been a not so regular companion the last 2 days. It's hilarious to see everyone pull out their phones as soon as we stop somewhere (including me) to see if there's free wifi. All wifi is free in China it's how you access it that is the problem. Most places have wifi but you have to put in your cell phone number then a PIN number is texted back to you. The problem is the system only accepts Chinese phone extensions so no Wifi and we were totally out of contact for the 2 days in Jinan. I think the world would come to an end if electricity and wifi ever disappeared especially seeing how addicted to electronic media our team is.
Noah's blog is a great description about what we did in Jinan but I will add from the escort position as during both evening meals the cadets were served in one room and the escort officers were hosted in a separate room a good distance away. We are treated extremely well and have bonded with our Chinese escorts very well and it shows during these adult only meals. Besides massive amounts of food there is the toasts. Culture really comes into play during meals as there is a definite pecking order at the table. The head person is the local boss or sponsor, directly across from them is their subordinate then to the right of the head person is honored guest #1 and to the left is honored guest #2 and so one until the table is filled.
I usually sit in the #3 slot to the right with Len who is the main sponsor program director for IACE China and Hong Kong in the #1 slot and Simo Caron the Canadian escort in #2 due to his position on as IACE director for Canada and extensive experience with these trips. Australia sits to my right and then UK and Hong Kong. I like this position as I have no required toasts.
The Headperson gives 3 toasts then his subordinate gives a minimum of 2 toasts and then each of the #1 and #2 persons have to give one and then it's your own choice if you want to toast anyone after that.
Last night was hilarious in the sense that IACE rules state no alcohol. That is very difficult in China as these meals revolve around toasting and alcohol one upmanship. So last night it was Coke, now remember we've only seen ice maybe 3 times the whole trip so it's warm coke. So as the toasting begin our Australian is quite the prankster and makes multiple toasts ending up with Kampeii which means "bottoms up" and you are to finish off whatever else is left in your glass. So after 4 cans of coke each
Photo's from many of our meals both combined with cadets and separate when the "delegation" eats with local dignitaries.
Food, food and more food. Due to the heat and humidity I thought I'd lose a few pounds while I'm hear but with all the amazing and interesting foods put in front of us 3 times a day I might go home with a few extra lbs. The Chinese have gone all out in preparing and selecting all kinds of local and regional dishes.
No comments:
Post a Comment