Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ni Hao!
 

2 days to go and winding up preparations here.  I updated my sprint phone to be able to use it in China. . .but only if an emergency as it is $1.99 a minute for voice and .50 per text outgoing and .05 incoming for texts and definitely no data!

I have a couple of "fears" regarding this trip.  First is those of you that know me well know that my younger brother Darby was diagnosed with pretty serious cancer in late March of this year and is currently going through chemo treatments.  We currently text daily and I follow a blog our mother started to keep up with treatments so not having good contact along with "what if something happens" is first on the list.

Next item is I moved to Seattle in February to take a position with Honeywell Aerospace.  I had already put on some "winter" weight and proceeded to put on another 10lbs after I got here due to limited opportunities to workout and long hours learning a new job and company.  Traveling with 10 18yr olds I will be very motivated to not only keep up but to excel as well (yes I know I have 30 yrs. on them)  so not only keeping up but be somewhere near the front without keeling over is the fear.  y friend Joe Monaco is bit of an inspiration here - 3 weeks ago I started running again with a goal of losing 15lbs and running 2.5miles which is the distance from the top of Cougar mtn. where I live to the bottom of the mtn. and back without stopping.  I'm at 12lbs lost and tonight made the entire run.  Goals - what wonderful things they are! 

Little story here:  While running Sunday night I was taking the "high bridge" trail which takes you thru an extremely thick forest up and down hills and ridges on Cougar Mtn. When I got to high bridge which is about 60ft above a large ravine I heard a loud crunching/crashing noise, I stopped on the bridge and the noise immediately stopped.  When I stepped off the bridge the noise started right back up,  Stepped back on bridge noise goes away.  Something is in the woods either breaking limbs or crunching on something so I took off.  High bridge is at the top of the trail so I started down and immediately saw approximately 20 rabbits running as fast as they could out of the forest across the trail and didn't stop as they headed towards a housing subdivision a little ways away.  Whatever it was scared all the bunnies out of the woods (maybe it was having rabbit stew?)  So I decided no more running in the woods at dusk - - who know it is Sasquatch country up here.

Included in tonight's post is a picture of my family when they were here for a visit 2 weeks ago and the business cards I made up for both cadets and myself for the trip. 

VISA update.  VERY FRUSTRATED with the entire process for Cadet Arvey.  After 2 weeks of nonstop phone calling and NEVER receiving a call back as promised I finally got the Mgr of all visahq on the phone today. She provided me updates and I LOUDLY explained to her that due to their screw ups a trip could be cancelled costing thousands of dollars.  After multiple excuses regarding poor people, delays etc. I was informed the visa is at the Chinese consulate in Houston (they lied when they said it was there last week) and due for pick up tomorrow (Thursday)  Let's see what happens.  NOT HAPPY WITH VISAHQ!!

YES I am very excited about the trip! 

wua to jhian
(see you later)

Major Deeds

No comments:

Post a Comment